PLCopen - the standard in motion programming
Founded in 1992, PLCopen is an international manufacturer- and product-independent interest group of control suppliers, software providers and institutes. Technical committees define new standards in accordance with the global PLC standard IEC 61131-3, which enable a substantially increased efficiency for the development of application software. Here, the centre of attention is the desire expressed by users for simplicity, flexibility, conformity, and manufacturer-independence.
In November 2001, for example, the first specification of a status machine and of a library with a function block was passed on the basis of IEC 61131-3, in order to standardize the interface between PLC logic and motion control architectures. A further example: in February 2006 the PLCopen organization adopted the first specification based on the safety standard IEC 61508 with defined user groups, data types and function modules as the basis of programmable safety controls. They are already regarded as quasi-standards for future safety solutions by control manufacturers.
Bosch Rexroth has been actively involved in the PLCopen technical committees for years which enables an early integration of the current PLCopen specifications into its products. Today, on the basis of PLCopen standards, Bosch Rexroth offers innovative and complete PLCopen-certified automation solutions which create important competitive advantages for machine manufacturers:
- simplified programming of processes through the use of consistent functional modules for all motion tasks
- faster realization of applications due to reusable standardized software modules
- increased software quality and efficiency for engineering
- reduced effort for commissioning, troubleshooting and maintenance
- little effort for the training of eg. the service staff
- increased flexibility concerning adjustments to machine variations
- standardized automation concepts for various applications
- reduced production costs and time-to-market for machines and plants
By using the PLCopen standards you can return to focussing on the essentials - your machine processes and their functionality. For information concerning the automation solutions of Bosch Rexroth please visit our product catalogue .
For more information about the PLCopen organization and its standards please click here .